Tuesday 26 April 2011

IT’S RAINING



I lie on my bed
With a swarm of thoughts and questions
In my mind.
And I can hear the skies
Roaring right outside.
And the rains falling on the roof
Like thunderous footsteps
Of a regiment of soldiers matching in unison.

Questions run through my mind
Questions like –
How is he?
Where is he?
Who is he with?
Why isn’t he picking?
What is he up to?
When will he call?

I pick up the phone
And scroll down to that one name
That is always stuck in my mind.
It takes about five seconds
Before the phone can finally go through.

Krrh…… krrh…… krrh…..

My heart throbs with excitement
As I await the sound of his mellow voice.
The excitement halts
As I slumber into sorrow
At the sound of…
“Sorry, the subscriber you have called does not answer,
Please try again later”

The rains outside increase
As though they want to help me
Drown my tears or better still
Wash them away

I lay on my bed
In the cold.
It’s raining outside
And in my heart too
But there is only one reality,
He isn’t here anymore.

~ Imelda Mirembe ~


No comments:

Post a Comment